Sunday 15 June 2008

One week in…Saturday 14th June 2008

Wow…I can hardly believe I’ve been here at the lake for a full week. And what a week it has been.

It has been fun trying to get used the Ghanaian/American culture mix and it’s been fun watching Rebecca and Hollie look at me occasionally with blank faces and a loud ‘what did you just say?’ when they cant understand what I am saying!!

Some time has been spent in the office helping to confirm plans for the team arriving in 3 and a half weeks and also starting to look at a couple of tasks Andrew has for me…its always a good excuse to get in to the air conditioning!!

There was also a voluntary team of approx 30 people from Atafram including the chief, here on Wednesday helping to clear the work area for the clinic extension so there was a lot of activity.












Me and the chief of Atafram and some of the workers who came

I have been learning a tiny wee bit about Ghanaian cooking and can now fry Kokoo (plantain).

We’ve definitely had a lot of fun in our wee house…last night (friday) was movie night which made for a lot of laughter and with it being Friday 13th (even though we are in no way superstitious!!) Hollie decided we should tell scary stories…but her zombie impersonations were scary enough!! But it’s also great to have a professional massage therapist with Rebecca willing to use her magical hands to relieve the stresses of the day!!

Today was particularly special as it was Vovo’s birthday. Vovo is Ju’s mum who is visiting from Brazil but to top that it was made even more special by the arrival of baby Nicholas who arrived quickly and healthy…so big congratulations to Andrew and Ju on the birth of their son and to Lucas and Luiza on the arrival of their little brother.

But what has God been teaching me so far…at the minute I believe he is just telling me to be still and to just enjoy ‘being’. In our culture there is the thought that you always have to be ‘doing’, rushing from one thing to the next hardly having time to breath. I know that time is certainly an issue that has been raised many times in discussion back home in our SAP (Share and Prayer) group on a Wednesday night. We feel rushed and our pace of life is just so fast. Here in Ghana it is definitely not like that and I’ve found that a challenge already. Having come here just over a week from my exams finishing I feel like im still in the frame of mind of needing to be busy or I should be working…but I have nothing to work for and my spare time is mine. So this is an opportunity to relax, de-stress and allow the beauty of creation and the presence of my Father surround me and soak in, in every possible way.


“be still, and know that I am God” Psalm 46:10

No comments: