Friday 6 June 2008

Arrived safely...

Wow...i'm in Ghana, this probably sounds a bit odd but it still doesnt really feel quite real!! i was met at the airport by 2 American girls and made to feel at home right away and i'm very excited about travelling up to the lake tomorrow.



But i thought i would recount a little of the journey so far...



Before even leaving the ground at Aldergrove I had already experienced some 'firsts' of the trip.



*the first potential disaster was averted in that my flight was at 6.50am not 7.50am as i thought (you really should lookat your ticket closely!!) Thankfully i was uncharacteristically early for the time that i thought was correct meaning that i just made it to checkin before it closed for the correct time!!



*first smile - the captain on my first flight was called Eric Dawson...i knew he wanted to come really but tha was quite extreme measures to take! But i found that strangely comforting...i guess that is meant as a compliment.



*First almost tear...when i read a text message from my soppy big cousin :)



Then there was the absolute and utter overwhelming feeling of awe, feeling very small in this big world and love, so much so i felt i could almost burst. This was looking out over the Northern Ireland countryside as we took off,the amazing beauty of the land below and then the beauty of the clouds as we came up through them - listening to the song 'He's got the whole world in his hands'. I just felt so safe and loved and i had such a huge sense of God's presence with me.



The second leg of the journey was relatively uneventful and I even tackled the Accra airport without a hitch and all baggage arrived...yay!!



So now it's 10.46pm and to say the least i am very very tired so its off to bed for my first nights sleep in Ghana and i have to be upand ready to leave for 7.00am!!



So i'll say goodnight :)

4 comments:

Michelle B said...

Hi Louise,

Just logged in to see if you had arrived safely, glad to see all went well on your journey and great to read the first blog, looking forward to many more.

Take care & God Bless
Michelle xox

Buzzardsroostni said...

Well Ug!

Good to see you kept up your tradition of being early!! Glad you arrived safely - now enjoy your latest adventure!

PS remember to start looking for my present - you have only a few weeks left.

Nigel + Lorna

jakdaw said...

Hi Louise

Glad to hear you got there safely despite the little mix up with the time! (but then with a pilot with a good name like you must have been in good hands!)

Sounds like you're settling in well, great to see your pictures.

Look after yourself and God bless

Eric & Jane

MinisterMoo said...

I'm always surprised at myself with regard to love for this wee island when I fly... Even after really excellent trips away I can be teary when I land in Dublin or Belfast.

You're a big wuss really Louise, but I think it's a God thing :)