Wednesday 25 February 2009

Further Lenten thoughts...

So I am continuing my thoughts on lent with a little help from a few helpful thoughts and comments from Mr Moo and from Jane via Facebook.

So my thinking at the minute is mainly regarding some kind of self-sacrifice, greater focus and the motivation behind it. Ultimately it is to bring myself before God and bringing a greater glory to Him. When thinking around this for college prayers today I came across the first instance in which Jesus talks about fasting in Matthew 6:16-18....

And when you fast, don’t make it obvious, as the hypocrites do, for they try to look miserable and disheveled so people will admire them for their fasting. I tell you the truth, that is the only reward they will ever get. But when you fast, comb your hair and wash your face. Then no one will notice that you are fasting, except your Father, who knows what you do in private. And your Father, who sees everything, will reward you.

So it should be done with an element of humility (...does that include broadcasting it on my blog...hmmm!!!?) but also with Joy and the expectation of meeting Jesus.

So what have I decided to do...I'm going to try my best to fast from lunch for the next 40 days, but I will continue to enjoy the fellowship around the meal table when I am with friends (unless they continue to make comments such as...mmmm this curry is amazing!!!) but if I am on my own I will try to make an effort to spend the time I would take to prepare and eat my lunch in prayer and/or bible study.

Well my first day hasn't been too bad and it is nearly teatime!!! But this is a journey that intrigues and excites me just a little bit.

No comments: