Tuesday 25 August 2009

All I Want is You...


I love the song 'All I Want is You' by Bellefire (yes I know, before anyone says it is an original U2 song I just happen to prefer the other version!!)

Anyway I was listening to it tonight as i was walking round Hillsborough and one of the verses just totally caught me off guard, as if I was listening to it for the first time...or with fresh ears maybe!!

You say you'll give me
A highway with no one on it
Treasure just to look upon it
All the riches in the night

You say you'll give me
Eyes in a moon of blindness
A river in a time of dryness
A harbour in the tempest

But all the promises we make
From the cradle to the grave
When all I want is you

Not being a huge U2 fan I don't know it there's any kind of story behind the song. But it just really struck me that this could be a song, sung by a child of God to their Heavenly Father and reminded me of a conversation I had with a very wise and Godly man when I was in Sri Lanka this summer. God wants to give us so so much, He wants to provide for us, heal us, love us and fill our lives with the goodness and great abundance of heaven.

We can complicate that and make it so difficult sometimes. We make so many promises right through life...at baptism, marriage vows, at acceptance into membership, dedication services and for Methodists in our annual covenant service and Im sure there are many others...but what do those words and promises mean if we dont seek that abundance that God wants to bless us with, if we don't seek the glory of Christ...ALL we should want is Him and His glory but yet we will receive so much more if that is all we seek.

No comments: